Hey, Yankees, here’s a really easy way to upgrade the bullpen. Yes, I know Joe Torre is a curmudgeon and won’t use anyone who doesn’t have a Veteran Index of 50 or less – but he’s got to use someone, right? Please, for the love of God, do this:
- Demote Jim Brower. He’s a 34 year old journeyman with a career 96 ERA+. His last two years’ were 80 and 36 (!). He’s bad.
- Replace him with Chris Britton. He’s 24 years old, and posted a 135 ERA+ in the AL East last year. He also has a 2.68 ERA, 48 H in 50 IP, and 54 Ks in AAA this year. But of course, veteran > youngster when it comes to Joe Torre.
- Demote Ron Villone. 37 years old with a career 96 ERA+. I would throw out more stats but you just have to trust me that he sucks. His apparent value is that he’s a lefty and can pitch multiple innings. Well…
- Replace him with Sean Henn. He’s 26 years old with an ERA+ of 101 in 25 major league innings this year, yet he is currently in the minors. He was groomed as a starter and has moved into a long-relief role. He is also left-handed. In AAA, he has a 3.24 ERA, 29 H in 33 IP, and 30 K. He is, in short, an improvement.
- Demote Jeff Karstens. Sucks sucks sucks sucks.
- Replace him – permanently – with Edwar Ramirez. This is the most baffling non-promotion of them all. Edwar’s numbers are sick. In AAA, he has a 0.90 ERA. He has allowed 20 H in 40 IP, while striking out 69. 69!!! He struck out the heart of the Twins’ order in his major league debut, sat on his ass for two weeks while Torre “looked for the right spot to use him”. When Torre found “the right spot”, Edwar threw 0.0 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 4 BB. Best part? He threw 19 pitches and 2 strikes. Now, this might seem like a poor argument for his promotion, but he’s 25 years old and absolutely annihilating minor leaguers. He deserves a real – A REAL, JOE TORRE – shot in the bigs.
Seriously, it’s not that hard.
EDIT: The Yankees have called up – wait for it – Sean Henn and Edwar Ramirez. They sent Karstens and Brower back down to AAA in return. Wanna know what Henn and Ramirez both did today? Of course you do: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (all Ramirez), 45 pitches, 35 strikes. Yes, it’s a small sample size, but still.